Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Monday, July 4, 2011

Campobello Island Plein Air Painting Workshops Begin


"Sentinel Tree, Independence Day" 9x12, oil

It's Independence Day in the U.S..  As I write this on my little island retreat in Canada, one mile across the bay from Eastport, Maine, I can hear the parade happening on Eastport's waterfront.  Blaring horns, marching bands, the beat of drums.  Tonight, they'll have a spectacular fireworks display - all the more spectacular, because I'll be able to watch it across the water without getting a neck cramp.  (Those of you used to watching fireworks from Ground Zero will understand.)  The fireworks begin at dusk, which is 9:17 U.S. time - but 10:17 Campobello Island time!  If I can't stay awake that long, I'm sure the first !!BOOM!! will roust me so I can see the show.

Today began the plein air painting workshops here on Campobello.  We started off with fog, and so my demonstration includes a good deal of it.  This is what we call our "sentinel tree," which stands watch in our front field.  You can just barely make out Eastport in the distance.

I still have room left in a few weeks.  If you're interested in these small-size workshops, visit www.PaintCampobello.com.