Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Three Fall Plein Air Painting Workshops

"Rainbow Harbour" oil/alkyd, 12x24

Above is a studio piece I completed this week.  I started with a bistre underpainting (detailed monochrome underpainting in browns) and added perhaps ten layers of transparent glazes.  I used alkyd paints for this.  If I'd used traditional oils, it would have taken ten weeks!  Alkyds dry much faster.

Even though summer has just barely hit its stride, I'm already thinking about the fall.  This fall, as I make my cross-country trip from Campobello Island, New Brunswick, to Sedona, Arizona, I'll teach three plein air painting workshops along the way.  I thought I'd mention them, as we are taking sign-ups even now.  They are:

October 1, Saturday:  Vermont, Middlebury.  A one-day oil-only workshop in historic Middlebury, home to Middlebury College.  I lived in or around Middlebury for nearly 30 years and have lots of great painting spots in mind.  Possible subject matter includes farms and fields, the falls at Otter Creek, or even some of the beautiful old homes in Middlebury.  Workshop will be held at Middlebury Studio School, beneath Edgewater Gallery in Frog Hollow (old Frog Hollow Art Center building.)  Workshop runs 9-4; bring a bag lunch.
Price:  $80, $40 deposit.
Contact me directly at mcj.painter@gmail.com.

October 3-7:  New York, Old Forge.  A five-day oil-only workshop in the western Adirondacks of New York State.  The Old Forge Arts Center has a brand-new facility, which is where we'll meet in the mornings for a talk before heading to our location each day.  I'm sure we'll get some good fall foliage.
Price:  $450 for members for the Old Forge Arts Center, $500 non-members.
Contact:  (315) 369-6411, bgetty@artscenteroldforge.org , www.artscenteroldforge.org

October 14-16:  Texas, New Braunfels.  A three-day workshop in Texas Hill Country.  I'll be demonstrating in both oil and pastel.  Hill Country is a lovely place with lots of live oaks and rolling hills.  The workshop will be based at the 1863 Farmers Road Bed & Breakfast.  There is limited room at the B&B, so don't wait too long to sign up!
Price:  $375
Contact:  Mary McIntosh, 1863farmroad@sbcglobal.net, 830-625-0132

I hope to see you on the road!

Michael Chesley Johnson PSA MPAC
www.MichaelChesleyJohnson.com
www.PaintSedona.com
www.PaintCampobello.com
www.PleinAirEssentials.com