Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Good News - Grand Canyon Plein Air Event


I got the good word that I am being re-invited to the Grand Canyon Celebration of the Arts "Plein Air on the Rim" plein air event next September.  The 2011 event was very rewarding for me in a number of ways, and I'm excited that I'll be working again with the wonderful people at the Grand Canyon Association.  Also, the event is an important fund-raiser.  The web site says:  "Proceeds will be dedicated to funding an art venue on the South Rim that will preserve and showcase the spectacular collection of historic and contemporary paintings owned by Grand Canyon National Park and the Grand Canyon Association. This permanent art venue at the South Rim will help to ensure that future generations of Park visitors will be able to experience Grand Canyon art at its finest."  I hope you will also come out and support this worthwhile event.

Our explorations of Carmel continued yesterday, and we spent our time gallery-hopping.  Carmel has some excellent ones, and it was nice to see some good California "contemporary realism" in person.  Some of my favorites were Ken Auster, Ray Roberts, Michael Obermeyer and Brian Blood.  I also got to see a lot of older work by folks like Edgar Payne, Guy Rose and Hanson Puthuff.  I even ran into Randall Sexton, who was delivering some paintings. I also explored Carmel's curious trees - eucalyptus, Monterey cypress and others.




Today we're looking for interesting houses to paint and also Point Lobos, which I remember from my last visit has some spectacular scenery.  Time to charge up the camera batteries!

Just as a reminder, my studio painting sale continues.  I'm posting sketches and demos daily.  If you would, please check it out at my studio store - http://johnsonstudiostore.blogspot.com/