Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Online Painting Workshops, Critiques and More

Front Yard Apple Trees 11x14, oil
I came back from Pemaquid to find our apple trees in full bloom.  Over the next few days, I hope to be painting them.  Here's one from yesterday afternoon.

I like this spot.  I may try to paint one of my "natural divider" diptychs here.
As much as I try to keep my blog more about painting technique and the plein air painting life, I do sometimes need to take a break and advertise my workshops.  So, if you'll bear with me for a moment, here goes:

Once again, I am teaching an online plein air painting class through Artists Network University.  If  you are new to plein air painting or just want to knock the rust off, this is for you.  The four-week class consists of reading material (including a digital copy of Bob Rohm's book, The Painterly Approach) instructional videos and a weekly assignment that I critique.  We have a lot of fun every time we have this class!  Class starts June 11.  For details on the Artists Network University course, click here.

If that's not enough, I have even more videos and material at my Plein Air Essentials self-study workshops.  Although you won't get the benefit of personal critiques, you can read the material and watch the videos as many times as you wish.  For details on the Plein Air Painting "Plein Air Essentials" self-study workshops, click here.

Are you a past student looking for feedback?  Many times, students will ask if they can e-mail an image of a piece they couldn't quite complete in the workshop but finished afterward.  I'm always happy to do this as a favor, since I consider it a natural extension of the workshop week.    But sometimes, students would like an ongoing critique relationship.  I'm happy to announce that, for my students only, I will critique two paintings for $50. Each critique will consist of at least 100 words of text plus Photoshopped versions of your images to illustrate my critique.  For details on receiving a personal critique, click here.

Finally, as a reminder, I am once again teaching my summer workshops on Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada.  If you've not been to the island before, you're in for a treat!  It's a quiet, amazingly scenic location far removed from the madding crowd.  On what would be a busy summer weekend elsewhere along the coast, you'll find only a handful of people on the beaches or trails.  Despite that, we do have all the necessities including motels, B&Bs and cottages for rent; a good grocery store and restaurants offering local seafood; plus wi-fi.  If that's not enough, there's even more five minutes away in Lubec, Maine.  By the way, one thing students really like about these workshops is that we work only in the mornings.  Afternoons are free for you to paint more on your own or to explore the area.  This half-day concept has proved very popular, since students often come with friends or family and can do some sightseeing.  For details on the Campobello Island plein air painting workshops, please click here.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.