Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Post-Pemaquid - and Paintings at Friar's Bay Studio Gallery

My Demo at Pemaquid Point
(photo by Caren-Marie Michel)
I'm now back from my trip to Pemaquid Point with the Pastel Painters of Maine.  Sunday morning, after saying good bye to the 30+ members who attended, I drove up the road a few miles to New Harbor, where I'd had dinner the night before.  My plan was to paint some of the boats there, but it was quite windy.  I decided to just take some photos and to then head over to Rockland.

Rockland is home to the Farnsworth Museum, which has ongoing exhibitions of work by N.C. Wyeth, Andrew Wyeth and Jamie Wyeth.  I stop in every couple of years to see what's new.  Currently, they have a new exhibit, "Her Room," which shows Andrew's painting of that name plus a large number of preparatory sketches he made for the piece.  There are also exhibits on a variety of themes with work by some of my other favorite landscape painters including Andrew Winter, Neil Welliver, Rockwell Kent and John Twachtman.  But what always captures my heart are Andrew Wyeth's watercolors.  Done from life and  much looser than his tempera work, they are full of brooding mystery and energy.

I want to mention that I am now posting gallery pieces on  the Friar's Bay Studio Gallery blog.  These are not demos and sketches but finished pieces.  If you'd like to follow the posts, you can do so by going to friarsbaygallery.blogspot.com and entering your e-mail address in the box in the right-hand column.