Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Thursday, October 1, 2015

My 8th Sedona Plein Air Festival

My last year's award-winning pastel painting
"Canyon Light" 12x18 pastel by Michael Chesley Johnson

Once again, I'm proud to announce that I've been invited to participate in the Sedona Plein Air Festival. This will my eighth time participating. Every year I try to do something a little different for my collectors, but you'll have to follow my blog to see what it will be this time. Also, last year I won an award for a pastel painting, so my hopes are up for this year.

The festival is right around the corner. In fact, after teaching a four-day workshop at Acadia Workshop Center in Bernard, Maine, next week, I will head straight for Sedona, Arizona. The festival will start Saturday, October 17, with a paint-out on Main Street from 1 to 4 pm. There are plenty of other events during week, including our usual "Paint Jerome Day." What's more, after a hiatus of several years, the quick draw event is returning to the L'Auberge resort on Oak Creek. This location has always been a favorite spot with both painters and collectors.

This year, the organizers have planned something new: a "Speakeasy Salon" in which several nationally-known figure painters will participate. I don't know if these artists will be painting "en plein air," but I'm sure they'll be painting from life. I'm looking forward to seeing their work.

Other invited participants this year include: Randall Sexton, Joshua Been, Bill Cramer, Charlie Hunter, Jim Wodark and many more great artists.

You can find a full schedule and details at www.SedonaPleinAirFestival.com.

I've included a few photos from previous events to whet your appetite. I hope you'll come to Sedona during the week! And, if you're a painter, I encourage you to check out my two workshops I'll be teaching immediately following the event. You can find details at www.PaintSedona.com.


Last year's artists
(Photo: Kelli Klymenko)

Painting at Alcantara Vineyards
(Photo: Kelli Klymenko)

Happy collectors from Texas

Scott Gellatly (right) from Gamblin will be there again

Carl Judson from Guerrilla Painter will be there with his store-on-wheels

Last year's gala event