Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Scotland Painting Retreat Wrap-Up: Part 5

Footpath near Comrie
Everyone enjoyed the trip to Scotland so much that I am planning another retreat for 2018.  This one will be held instead in two locations:  first, the seaside villages of East Neuk and Fife, followed by the Isle of Skye.  Margaret Evans gave me a preview look at East Neuk, which I describe below, and I think it'll be a big hit.  Isle of Skye, of course, already has an international reputation.  This retreat will be June 3-13, 2018.  If you are interested, please send me a note at mcj.painter@gmail.com, and I will update you once we are ready to start taking reservations.  I'll also be posting details as I get them at http://www.michaelchesleyjohnson.com/scotland/scotland.htm

The Road to Hobbiton
(Well, actually to Comrie.  But it feels like you're going to Hobbiton, doesn't it?)
After dropping everyone off at the Glasgow airport Sunday morning, I drove with Malcolm to his and Margaret's house near Comrie.  Their house is a beautiful old stone one, butted up against hayfields and hills.  I was pleased to find a footpath—so common in the area—that would take me just about anywhere I pleased.  The footpath and the other paths that diverged from it are edged with stone walls and old, mossy trees.  It did feel like I'd been sent back in time a hundred years.  I hiked the paths several times and never met a person.

On Monday, Margaret and I went on a tour to the seaside villages of East Neuk.  This is a part of the Scottish coast on the River Forth, just across from Edinburgh.  These villages are everything a painter could want:  old stone houses, rustic breakwaters, wooden boats and more.  We started our tour at Lundin Links and continued to the villages of Elie, St Monans, Pittenweem, Anstruther, Crail and finally, St Andrews.  You can spend a lifetime painting this part of Scotland.

Elie

Elie

Elie

St Monans

St Monans

St Monans

St Monans

Anstruther

Crail

Anstruther

Crail

Anstruther

St Andrews

Tuesday, I headed back to Glasgow.  Paisley, actually, where the airport is located.  In Paisley, I spent the evening exploring town.  I especially loved the old abbey.  Still a working church, it has an amazing amount of history.  I was a little sad that I arrived just before they closed at 3:30, but I had time for a few pictures.

Paisley Abbey




Next time, I'll write about my return to Nova Scotia and a visit to Lunenburg.