Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Dynamic Duo Plein Air Painting Workshop - Update


This past week, I taught a six-day workshop jointly with another artist.  Together, we led ten students through the pitfalls and pleasures of plein air painting.  When we first started batting around the idea, I wondered how well "tag team teaching" would work.  We have different styles and different approaches; would we end up just confusing the students rather than helping them?

The other instructor demonstrated in pastel, and I in oil, for a total of  ten demonstrations.  Our students painted in pastel, oil, acrylic and watercolor. When it came time to help students at their easels, sometimes we went separately, and sometimes we went together.  When I traveled solo to offer help, a student or two would say that the other teacher had given different advice.  I'm sure he heard the same about me.  Overall, though, students seemed to think that together we dispensed consistent words of wisdom, and they enjoyed having twice as much attention as they would get with just one instructor.

I may do this again, as it was a positive experience for the students.  If you're an experienced plein air instructor and might be interested in joining me in a "tag team" workshop, please let me know!

Here are some photos from the week:






"Wildland Passage" 9x12 oil by Michael Chesley Johnson

"Splendor Mountain" 9x12 oil by Michael Chesley Johnson

"Light on the Mountain" 9x12 oil by Michael Chesley Johnson